On creation of Pakistan, Directorate General Supply and Development was established under Ministry of Defence. In 1953, it was reorganized as Defence Purchase Directorate. In 1967, it was merged with DGMP and called Directorate General Munition Production and Procurement, which was assigned the dual responsibility of procurement of defence stores/equipment and their indigenous production in the country. In 1970, the set up was bifurcated into Directorate General Defence Purchase and Directorate General Munition Production as separate entities. Directorate General Defence Purchase or DGDP was made responsible for procurement and disposal of defence stores, since then has been functioning under Ministry of Defence Production.